Friday 9 January 2009

The Formula for Floury Biscuits

As anyone knows who has been to England, no one here knows what a poper biscuit is. Somehow they think its a cookie. Its not. The floury, buttery, flaky goodness of a southern biscuit cant be attached to the cookie family at all. On one of my first mornings back in York again I attempted to recreate the amazing biscuits of my best friend Sydney, but with questionable results. First of all, she is an amazing baker, and I merely stick to what I know. Secondly, I had completley forgotten the lack of American- standard measuring spoons. Somehow, a British cup is smaller than an American cup (maybe somethig to do with our world-wide reputation for being fat- its just the bigger portions), and teaspoons and tablespoons are measured with actual spoons. Weird. Somehow, that doesn't seem to be very precise to me. Anyway, even with these handicaps I began to follow Syd's recipe as best I could, often with Jess offering to help or find a somewhat-the-same amount of butter or flour. In the end the dough seemed to be about right, maybe a bit floury, but most was sticking together as Syd said it should. I put them in the tiny oven of my student house kitchen and hoped for the best. They were pretty floury. After baking it seems all the flour came to the forefront of the biscuit, leaving the butter and milk far from my abilities to detect. I cant even imagine Jess could, with his poor over-worked taste bud. Bless. Oh well, they were edible, and what else could I hope for? Maybe I should have some American-style measuring spoons sent over for better cooking arrangements. It couldnt hurt. At least Jess appreciated my efforts, and Ill keep on trying to find more recipes I can attempt to recreate over in Jolly Old England. Maybe wiggly jiggly Flan shall be next...

No comments:

Post a Comment